SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

From:
edwin jahel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 1995 11:49:32 CST
"Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble"
[...........................]
"EYE OF NEWT and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog."
[...........................]
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

                Macbeth, act IV, scene 1 (The three Witches)

Capitalization mine, not Shakespeare's.

        I am forwarding this message from a very well-informed and alert
colleague
        Please read, weep and snarl.

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 22:20:49 -0600
From: "landay jerry m." <[log in to unmask]>
To: Ed Jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: There Newt Goes Again

Ed:

        You may want to put the following out to your network.
I have verified its publication in the Style Section of yesterday's
Washington Post:

 -----------

 DT:  February 17, 1995
 RE:  Newt Gingrich Vows To Zero Out CPB in a Speech
      yesterday to GOP Staffers

 LEGISLATIVE UPDATE   LEGISLATIVE UPDATE LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
           LEGISLATIVE UPDATE  LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

 An article in today's Washington Post quotes House Speaker Newt
Gingrich saying "the CPB still hasn't seen the light." ... "They
still don't realize that the appropriation is gone, that game is
over."  He goes on to say, "The power of the Speaker is the power
of recognition, and I will not recognize any proposal that will
appropriate money for the CPB." ... "What they should be doing is
planning the future."

 The Speaker's comments go well beyond his earlier statements on
elimination of funding for CPB and completely contradict his
statements last month that he was "not fixed in concrete" on the
issue of CPB funding.

 Privatization is clearly on the Speaker's mind.  Talking about
the spectrum allocated to public broadcasting, the Speaker said:
"They're sitting on very valuable assets. Channel 8 in Atlanta is
choice spectrum.  Sell that slot to a commercial operation, move
PBS to Channel 36, and Georgia public broadcasting could live
forever on the interest from that trust fund."

 He went on to say "I don't know why they call it public
broadcasting.  As far as I am concerned, there's nothing public
about it; it's an elitist enterprise.  Rush Limbaugh is public
broadcasting."

 This is clearly the hardest line the Speaker has drawn yet
regarding funding for public broadcasting.  It comes at a time
when the House Appropriations Committee is beginning work on a
rescission bill(reduction or elimination of already
appropriatedfunds).  Next week the Labor, HHS, Subcommittee will
mark-up their portion of the rescission bill which includes
funding for CPB.

 Members of Congress will be in their districts begining today
for a long weekend.

"and there is throats to be cut, and works to be done" (Capt.Macmorris in
Shakespare, HENRY V, act III sc.II)