SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 12:40:21 CST
I have to agree that Jack Nickolson was a poor choice.  His presentation of
the award was downright embarassing. The whole Oscar affair hit a new low in
vulgarity.  This is the image that millions
of people worldwide have of the Hollywood 'school of filmmaking'. Filmmakers
of Antonioni's caliber/intellect cannot possibly fit in.
It is (sad) news to me that he has purchased the rights to The Passenger. My
wife has seen a VHS copy at the local Blockbuster video store.  I remember
enjoying the film. I have always appreciated the way Antonioni uses cinematic
space.

I have to blurt it out or bust!  Antonioni does not make movies.  He makes
Films! and some would say he makes Cinema. The Hollywood mentality is that
hese terms are absolutely synonymous.

Renato Tonelli (Hunter College - CUNY)