SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

Sender:
From:
"Gloria Monti (GD 1995)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 12:09:05 -0400
> I don't know if it is real, or just a movie technique, but it seems that
> southern society is not accepting of anyone but WASPS.  I'm not from the
> south so I don't know much about it, but it is  displayed in movies, tv, and
> literature, now and in the past, as a very close minded almost offensively
> selective culture that judges not on who you are, but where you come from.
> It's a failing I see in movies much of the time.  It reminds me of what
> people assumed of me coming to school in the midwest being a "east coast
> jew" as we are called out here

        You know that life *always* imitates film. The worst part about
life is that you can't just walk out or turn it off.  I guess I would like
to add that one is not only judged on the basis of their background (you
mean social?) but, most offensively, on the basis of their skin color.
        However, a  student told me yesterday that Atlanta is the best place in
the country for African-Americans to live.  I will have to take his word for
it, I am afraid.
        But then I look at the NYT--the week in review,1/16/94 and I read
the following story (quote):
        The operation, under cover of the predawn darkness and under watch
of the police, evoked the civil rights struggles of the 1960's, and indeed
it was the first time since then that the Federal Government had used an
armed escort to enforce desegregation laws.
         Four black families were moved into Vidor Village, a
formerly all white housing complex in an East Texas town that has not had
a permanent black resident since the 1920's.  Despite a judicial order to
integrate the project, four other black residents had moved out earlier
this year, complaining of repeated harassment from some whites in town.
(unquote)
        I thought I was reading some thirty year old newspaper, but alas,
no.  Happy Dr. King's b-day.

        Gloria Monti
        Yale University