SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Allan Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 1994 01:48:00 CDT
To: screen-L multiple users-The discussion on GULF WAR videos keeps veering into
 the Vietnam era;
this is either TaccidentalU or symptomatic of something more portentous; this
is encouraging. To fuel the discussion I would add Emile de AntonioUs film
IN THE YEAR OF THE PIG. One of the earliest serious treatments of the
conflict and with an historical perspective to boot. A video of this film can be
found at Facets in Chicago: 1-800-331-6197. Though there are numerous titles
that deal with RwarS and its individual repercussions, we swim mostly in the
backwash of a culture riddled with denial. It is therefore not surprising that
the Gulf War is perceived as little more than a TjingoisticU blip on the media
screen. Allan Siegel / Chicago