SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
mpomeran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:49:51 -0400
I have still not seen SHUT, but it is interesting--maybe--to note that
Glen Cove, LINY is explicitly identified in NORTH BY NORTHWEST as the
site of a police station where Roger O. Thornhill has trouble proving
he's sober.  Sargent Emile Klinger works in Glen Cove--perhaps lives
there.  It's a charming little courtroom attached to the station.  The
residence of Lester Townsend, however--and I think this is what people
are having in mind as a reflection of the orgy site--is not localized at
all.  Anyone who knows Long Island, especially Nassau County, can verify
that there is to be found there a copious supply of towns and townlets,
quite near one another, and from a careful reading of NbyNW it really is
not possible to say that the house with the nefarious gardener *really
is* in Glen Cove.  To make matters a tad worse, the topography around the
house, through which Roger drive on a seacoast road, really is hard to
believe as being near Glen Cove.

Murray
Toronto