SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 2

From:
hanemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:17:37 CDT
  Ethics in acting, or really any aspect of production can be a real dilemma.
Surely none of us set out to make the pap that passes for entertainment on
the tube and big screen.
  On the other hand, this is a tough business to make a living in and I
certainly can't afford to turn anything down, no matter how bad it is.
(Forgive me, I was on America's Most Wanted last week.) It's not that I
worry that appearing in bad shows might damage my credibility as an
actor. At this stage of my career, nobody knows who I am. It's just that
I have worked so long and hard on my craft, was fortunate enough to
perform in many of the greatest plays ever written, and now that I have
reached professional status, I have to work on projects that are pure
garbage. I can't even afford to do theater any more for fear that a six
or eight week commitment might make me lose a lot of money on a shoot.
  The very heights of one level led me to the very basement of the next.
It's tempting to blame the writers for creating all this crap in the
first place, but surely, they, and the producers, are merely responding to
the available market.
   The public is crying out that there is nothing but drivel and trash
available on TV , and yet, the ratings don't support programming
that sticks its neck out to try to elevate the consciousness of the
viewing public.
  I hardly know what to think, any more. Anybody got any illuminating
thoughts?