SCREEN-L Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
William Lingle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:30:40 -0800
Dear Professor Streible,

Your request for a review of the restored print of Pepe Le Moko raises a
question that your association may have already examined throughly:  What
is a restoration?  I saw the print last week in Portland, and it may be
"restored" in the sense of having some shots or scenes that were not
available in some prints added back into this one, or in the sense of
striking a new print from the best of several different sources, but it is
not restored in the sense the general audience is coming to think of as
standard, as in the restoration of The Exorcist.  This is a new print, and
most reels look good, but there is much variation of visual quality from
reel to reel, particularly in black-white contrast, and lots of scratches
and other visual noise.  In some reels, only the center of the frame seemed
to be in sharp focus.  This may have been a projection problem, although
the theater manager denied it when I asked him about it on the way out.
Cinema 21 billed it only as a brand new 35mm print, not a restoration, and
to my mind that is probably the best way to refer to this new opportunity
to see a delightful film.

William Lingle
Professor of Communication
Linfield College
McMinnville, Oregon

--On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 11:45 AM -0500 Dan Streible <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Qualified reviewer sought for report on restored version of PEPE LE
> MOKO (1937), for publication in THE  MOVING IMAGE, Journal of the
> Association of Moving Image Archivists.  Deadline August 2002.
>
> Rialto Pictures has released a new 35mm restoration of the Julien
> Duvivier film. It just closed its 3 week run at the Film Forum in
> NYC, but will be playing other places in the weeks ahead.
>
> 3/22-28 Portland, Cinema 21
> 4/19-4/25 Los Angeles, Nuart Theater
> 5/10-5/12 Detroit Institute of Arts
> 5/24-5/30 Houston, Angelika Cinema
>
> If you have access to a screening and would like to write a report on
> restoration, contact please contact me.
>
> ***********************************
> Dan Streible, Asst. Professor of Film Studies
> Dept. of Art
> 1615 Senate ST.
> University of South Carolina
> Columbia, SC  29208
> (803) 777-9158; fax 777-0535
> http://www.sc.edu/filmsymposium
>
> ----
> Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
> http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite

William M. Lingle               Phone:  503.434.2521
Department of Communication     Fax:    503.434.2566
Linfield College                Email:  [log in to unmask]
McMinnville OR 97128-6894
USA