SCREEN-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:14:14 -0600
Scott Andrew Hutchins writes:

>But simply showing the video to a class is an offense. Many FBI warnings
>specifically note that the video cannot be shown to school or prison groups.

OK, the example I gave wasn't good one. The point I was trying to make was
that just because a specific usage in the US is permitted under the 'fair use'
provisions, don't assume that the Berne Convention allows that same usage in
other countries as well. In many cases, it doesn't.

BTW, I wonder what the video industry's fixation with prisons and schools is
in aid of? The standard warning which appears at the start of UK PAL releases
says that you can't show them '...in oil rigs, prisons or schools.'

Leo

Dr. Leo Enticknap
Director, Northern Region Film and Television Archive
School of Arts and Media
University of Teesside
Middlesbrough TS1 3BA
United Kingdom