SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Joey Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 19:35:23 CST
Bohdan:

I believe you should check out Noel Burch's _The Theory and Practice of
Film_ 1972.  This book is essential for describing temporal and spatial
articulation.  Burch is also a noted scholar in the primative cinema and
has made two films the critically discuss the primative cinema:
_Correction Please_,  and _What Do These Old Films Mean?_.  I believe both
are available from the Modern Museum Of Art, in New York City.

Bart Testa has written a book that deals with these Issues as well:  _Back
and Forth:  The Advant-Garde and the Primative Cinema_,  University of
Toronto Press, 1993.  Further suggested readings include _Before the
Nickelodeon_.

Joey Schwartz, Innis College Media Supervisor
University of Toronto |  Tel. (416) 966-0593
2 Sussex Avenue       |  [log in to unmask]
Toronto, Ontario      |  [log in to unmask]
M5S-1A5, Canada       |  Tel. (416) 978-0591 (Day)