SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 2

From:
Jenni Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:45:54 -0400
>I just got home from Men in Black, so it's fresh in my mind. First of all,
>I recall seeing not one, but TWO different versions of the same dialog in
>trailers for this film. You'll recall when Smith & Jones (now THERE'S a
>coupla high powered movie-star names for ya!) pull out these huge, high
>tech blunder-buss weapons and Smith asks, "You know how to use these?" To
>which deadpan Jones replies, "No idea whatsoever."
>
>All right, in the movie, as they pull out the guns, I'm thinking, which
>version did they use in the movie, inasmuch as there are TWO versions in
>different trailers. And the answer is (TA DAAHHH) -- NEITHER! The dialog
>does not appear in the film at all!

Same thing just happened with MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING -- they took out
the line where one of the characters asks something like, "But isn't she
a lesbian?"  The line had been used in the advance trailer and was then
removed from the film after test screenings.

One of the prizes in my own trailer collection is the Austrailan trailer
for Alan Moyle's 1980 film TIMES SQUARE. The film has an amazing history
of being hacked apart by Robert Stigwood, partly to remove content that
was, if not actually lesbian, at least suggestive of the possibility of a
stronger intimacy between the two main characters (Pammy and Nicky,
played by Trini Alvarado and Robin Johnson).  That intimacy is still
quite pronounced in the final version of the film.  One of the scenes
that was removed was of the two girls frolicking in a river.  In the
Australian release trailer (though not in the US version) there is a 1
second snippet of that scene.

Jenni Olson
Producer, PopcornQ

PopcornQ: The Ultimate Online Home for the Queer Moving Image is
available now at http://www.popcornq.com or at AOL Keyword: PopcornQ.

FRESHLY POPPED!  CHECK OUT ALL THE NEW FEATURES ON POPCORNQ 2.0!

*Enjoy fabulous short films, classic trailers, and rare archival
materials in QuickTime and RealVideo formats in the PQ Online Cinema!

*Buy videos online in the PQ Video Shop!

*Find out about the latest theatrical and video releases in What's Out
Now!

*Browse the PQ Movie News for interviews, festival reports and hot gossip!

*Plus: film festival listings, funding sources, the Queer Top Tens, Links
Galore, Queer TV This Month, and much more!

PlanetOut - 965 Mission St. #730 - San Francisco CA 94103
VOX 415/547-2800 x309 * FAX 415/547-2801
http://www.planetout.com

University of Alabama.