SCREEN-L Archives

April 2020, Week 4

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2020 10:31:48 +0000
From:
Charlotte Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Subscribers,

We would like to announce a new publication from Indiana University Press, which we hope will be of interest.

Household Horror
Cinematic Fear and the Secret Life of Everyday Objects
Marc Olivier

https://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/9780253046567/household-horror/
Receive a 20% discount online:
CSLS2020

Take a tour of the house where a microwave killed a gremlin, a typewriter made Jack a dull boy, a sewing machine fashioned Carrie’s prom dress, and houseplants might kill you while you sleep. In Household Horror: Cinematic Fear and the Secret Life of Everyday Objects, Marc Olivier highlights the wonder, fear, and terrifying dimension of objects in horror cinema. Inspired by object-oriented ontology and the nonhuman turn in philosophy, Olivier places objects in film on par with humans, arguing, for example, that a sleeper sofa is as much the star of Sisters as Margot Kidder, that The Exorcist is about a possessed bed, and that Rosemary’s Baby is a conflict between herbal shakes and prenatal vitamins. Household Horror reinvigorates horror film criticism by investigating the unfathomable being of objects as seemingly benign as remotes, radiators, refrigerators, and dining tables. Olivier questions what Hitchcock’s Psycho tells us about shower curtains. What can we learn from Freddie Krueger’s greatest accomplice, the mattress? Room by room, Olivier considers the dark side of fourteen household objects to demonstrate how the objects in these films manifest their own power and connect with specific cultural fears and concerns.
Marc Olivier is Professor of French Studies at Brigham Young University.
With all best wishes,

Combined Academic Publishers

Indiana University Press | The Year’s Work: Studies in Fan Culture and Cultural Theory | February 2020 | 350pp | 9780253046567 | PB | £31.00*
*Price subject to change.