SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 3

From:
Peter X Feng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:47:32 -0400
> I have a grad student researching the representation of  Asian men in North
> American film. Does anyone have any suggestions about good places for her
> (and me) to start reading/surfing?
>
> Dr Patrick Crogan

you might start by visiting a website (just links) on Asian American film
that I've assembled for the East of California Asian American Studies
network:
http://www.english.udel.edu/feng/aam.html

site includes links to a few articles on masculinity.  Richard Fung's
article on representations of Asians in gay pornography has been oft
reprinted: originally appeared in HOW DO I LOOK? by Bad Object Choices and
has been reprinted in Q&A: Queer and Asian ed. David Eng and Alice Hom
(Rutgers UP).  Also seek out Jachinson Chan's work on masculinity and pop
culture, his book is forthcoming, I'm not sure if any of it has appeared in
print already.

Peter X Feng, Assistant Professor of English and Women's Studies
English Department
212 Memorial Hall                                <[log in to unmask]>
University of Delaware                          tel 302/831-4066
Newark DE 19716                                 fax 302/831-1586