SCREEN-L Archives

June 2006, Week 4

From:
Robin Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:47:53 -0500
Burl Ives: Charleston, IL (September 20-23)

The Second Annual Embarras Valley Film Festival, featuring the films of
Eastern Illinois University alumnus and Jasper County native, Burl Ives,
will take place September 20-23, 2006, on the Eastern Illinois University
campus with movies presented at the historic Will Rogers Theatre in
downtown Charleston.

The event kicks off with free viewings of Desire Under the Elms (September
20, 7pm) and East of Eden (September 21, 7pm) at the Tarble Arts Center,
Eastern Illinois University.  On September 22nd, the Tarble is hosting the
conference, “Burl Ives and American Film of the 1950s,” which explores
Ives as a person, a musician and an actor.  Special guest speakers include
Jennifer Cutting and Dr. Steve Winick, both archivists from the Library of
Congress.  Cutting will share music that can only be heard at the Folklife
Archives in Washington D.C.  The award-winning Airtight Band will perform
following Cutting’s and Winick’s evening presentations.

On Saturday, September 23, two more Ives films will be shown at the Will
Rogers Theatre (705 Monroe Avenue): The Big Country will be introduced and
presented at 2:00 p.m. by Chuck Koplinski of The Hub and Illinois Times,
and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof will be introduced and presented at 7:00 p.m. by
Dann Gire of the Chicago Film Critics’ Association.  Ives was awarded the
Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1958 for his role in The Big Country, but
is perhaps best known for his portrayal of “Big Daddy” in the 1958 classic
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Accompanying the films and conference are exhibits at Booth Library and
the Tarble Arts Center.  Additionally, an Ives documentary will be
produced after the festival.  The Embarras Valley Film Festival is funded
in part by the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency, The Jaenike Access
to the Arts Fund, The Charleston Area Charitable Foundation, Eastern
Illinois University College of Arts & Humanities and the Coles County Arts
Council.  All programming is free and open to the public.  For more
information please call (217) 549-2876.