SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:38:39 EDT
Leo Enticknap writes:

> >THE UNKNOWN Tod Browning, US 1927
>
> The only silent Browning title I've seen is THE UNHOLY THREE (1925), an
> interesting thriller with Boris Karloff.  It was well-written and quite
> stylish, so I would suspect that this will be worth a look.

More than worth a look.  Years ago, when I used to take my students on an
annual bus trip to Eastman House in Rochester, this film became somewhat
of a cult favourite.  Even by Browning's standards, it is outrageous.  Not
to be missed.

There is a story that I've heard about this film, which may or may not be
true.  It was considered lost for many years, but was uncovered at the
Cinematheque Francaise.  The film's title in French is L'INCONNU - a
direct translation of the title in English.  Unfortunately, the
Cinematheque labelled all unidentified films as "inconnu", and as a
result, the film was misplaced for decades.

Mark