SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 2

From:
Dennis Doros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:30:17 -0400
I should step in and mention the real reason the film was cut by over a half
hour. It was not because Carmine couldn't come up with the extra music, or
the quality of the score (I won't comment, but I do like the Davis score),
but it was wholly financial considerations - as is almost everything in the
film business. Consider it opened at Radio City Music Hall with the full
orchestra, the ticket takers, the projectionist(s), the ushers, maintainence
people and every other staff member imaginable. In other words, a huge amount
of union workers. And of course, this was to be duplicated at every theater
around the country. For a five+ hour film to open in the evening this means
one thing - many, many hours of golden time to pay the staff. It was the US
distributor's decision to cut the film so it would end by midnight. I believe
this is all might be in Kevin's book on the restoration of Napoleon
(entitled, believe it or not, NAPOLEON). It was much to Brownlow's regret. So
Carmine Coppola may be criticized for the score, but not the editing.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video