SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Jeff Apfel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 05:40:17 -0700
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Bill Everts wonders:
>"I have a family of avid film lovers, and I would be interested in
>knowing if anyone has compiled a list of the "100 films everyone
>should see" or as I have read recently in my field, literature,
>the "Professor's Guilt List." Every once in a while I come across
>a list of books every literate person should have read, etc.
>I have never seen such a list for films.  Does one exist?

As Don Larsson pointed out, lists sometimes appear in magazines.  Even National
Review!  A recent issue listed the 100 movies conservatives should love.  Most
are not political in the narrow sense of the word.   If there was a common
thread that I could see, it was that the films selected were, depending on your
point of view, "old fashioned and corny" (the negative view) or "largely devoid
of corrosive and trendy irony" (the positive view).  De gustibus.

Jeff Apfel