SCREEN-L Archives

December 1996, Week 3

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:17:25 -0500
        It with extreme sadness that I am sharing the news of Marcello
Mastroianni's death with Screen-Lers.  He died this morning in his house in
Paris.  The cause was cancer.  His body will be flown to Rome where his
funeral will take place this coming Sunday, 12/22.
        If I may also share a personal note with the list, here's a message
from my father, who saw Mastroianni in his his last theater engagement in
Milano, a little over a month ago.  He told me over the phone this
afternoon that in the play by Furio Bordon, titled *Le Ultime Lune* (*The
Last Moons*), Mastroianni's character--an old man who unwillingly ends up
in a nursing home, declares that his wish is to die on Christmas day.  And
the title of Mastroianni's latest film is also: *Three Lives and Only One
Death.*  Maybe I am becoming morbid, but all this metalanguage makes me
even sadder.

gloria monti                  269 W. 12th St., #2-2, New York, NY 10014-1975
american studies                                  voice mail: (212) 604-0779
yale university                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"he was blessed with the happiness and the nonchalant courage that come of
living according to one's principles."

                                james traub, about william kunstler