SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Jennifer Senft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:51:40 -0400
At 07:16 AM 8/26/96 -0400, you wrote:
>David Desser is, sadly, right in his deploring the vapidity of NICK OF
>TIME, which should have been something to watch.  Johnny is always
>something to watch, but in this film he is the *only* thing to watch.

>For precise narrative reasons, the murder sequence in DIAL M FOR MURDER
>is also in real time, as I recall.
>
>Murray Pomerance
>Toronto

I think I thought of another one.  As usual, though, I can't recall the
title.  Does anyone remember the film by Bunuel that was based on Sartre's
NO EXIT?  All the people, animals and weirdness trapped in a bourgesois
house (with unlocked doors and windows) without being able to leave... I
believe this took place in real time.

And I agree with the above senitiment -- Johnny Depp is generally a really
special actor who tends to make interesting choices and really do them well.
The Badham film, NICK OF TIME, was slow and boring.  Interesting that real
time can slow down perceived time.  This supports the argument on the other
thread that we do not attend the movies to experience "real life."
Personally, in the affluence in Hollywood discusion, my own experience is
that sometimes I want to see Hollywood glitz, and mostly I don't, but...

Anyway, I guess Johnny needed the money.

JS

Jennifer Senft, M.A.

Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty...