SCREEN-L Archives

August 2001, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:16:10 +0100
Ken Mogg writes:

>Slightly off-topic, then, but have I told this anecdote here before?
>
>Apparently the great Irish director, Rex Ingram, whose films were beloved by
>David Lean, and others, was born Rex Hitchcock.  One day in the 1920s, the
>young
>Alfred Hitchcock, just starting out in movies, met Rex Ingram/Hitchcock (no
>relation).  'My boy', the great man said, 'I advise you to change your
surname,
>like I did.  You'll never get anywhere with the one you've got.'

The documentary director Paul Rotha was born Paul Thompson, but was advised
by his art college tutor that 'you'll never get anywhere with a name like
that - change it.'  He claims to have particularly liked a book on art
history by an obscure c17 scholar by the name of Rotha.  He looked in the
London telephone directory for 1929 and could not find any Rothas, and so,
satisfied that the name was distinctive enough, changed his name by deed poll.

As you might have guessed, I don't have that problem!  Exactly the
opposite, in fact - I receive about 100-150 unsolicited e-mails per year
from people trying to contact my father (who is a well-known computer
industry journalist) or from other Enticknaps 'researching' their family
history.

Dr. Leo Enticknap
Director, Northern Region Film and Television Archive
School of Law, Arts and Humanities
Room M616, Middlesbrough Tower
University of Teesside
Middlesbrough  TS1 3BA