SCREEN-L Archives

June 2010, Week 1

From:
scott hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2010 14:34:35 -0400
I went to the store, which is called Dred African Movies.  Most of the
films seemed to be boy meets girl, adultery, or movies set in church
communtities, though one appeared to be about maintaing tribal
traditions in the modern world.   The films tended to be around 150
minutes long, and often have "Parts 1 & 2" on the box.  The most
interesting-looking film was called _Empty Coffin_, which was about a
woman who marries a widower who keeps his wife's body locked in a room
of his house.  I looked it up on IMDb, but didn't find it.   don't think
the prices were marked on anything, but there were always plenty of
copies (and a lot of unused space in the shop), unlike Asian DVD shops
where they often put only one copy out, as if they want to make you
think you're getting the last one in stock.

http://www.ScreenSite.org