SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Off-the-Cuff Productions <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Film and TV Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:32:59 +12000
text/plain (32 lines)
On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Mark C. Pizzato 690-6907 wrote:
> Re: Black dots
> My student was asking about the end of certain films when a black dot grows
> the center of the screen, rather than a cut or fade or dissolve to black--as a
> way to end the movie.  I have just a dim memory of this myself and have yet to
> check for it in order to give a better description.  But maybe someone out
> knows what I mean and can describe/explain it better.  And give the name for
> effect.
> Mark Pizzato
I think what you are referring to is basically a circular wipe, and
effect available on most video mixers from the MX12 on up.  On video, you
can create the circle with hard or soft edges, make it go in or out, (ie
from black to picture, or picture to black) or
keep it static with another image in the middle - this is an effect much
over-used by corporate video producers!  At the end of a film, using this
effect in place of a fade-to-black could indicate, um ... well, that the
editor had found a new gimmick, I guess!  Any thoughts on that from
someone who's actually *had* a cup of coffee this morning yet?
Tobie Openshaw
Cape Town, South Arica
To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]