SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

From:
Andrea MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1992 18:49:48 PDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> As editor of a recent anthology on Blade Runner (I posted a note about it
> a couple of months ago), I keep finding what I call "Blade Runner Junkies,"
> several of whom were authors of important articles in the book.  Apart from
> most of them being serious sf readers (not necessarily "fen"), I can't
> say that they have any distinguishing characteristics (maybe they are a bit
> bent, but so are a lot of serious sf readers - they also seem to like other
> cyberpunk works.
> 		Judith Kerman, Saginaw Valley State University

What I'm finding amongst the fans that I'm looking at is a very
creative, intelligent group. My favorite interview to date was with
a fourth grader, not only was he able to articulate major themes of
the tv series, but he asked me some very probing questions about why
I'm doing what I'm doing.

I have found that fans that are older are also able to apply what
they are view and ascertain major meta-communication (wrong word but
I can't think of a better one). For example, they tell me that Alien
Nation is about race relations in the U.S., or that ST:NG is about
the spirit of humanism.

Andrea
Andrea MacDonald
[log in to unmask] (Internet)