SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:50:16 -0400
>But I think that the movie did wrong to so many people in death row and
>in prisons by overlooking the race and class issue. And this is why I
>didn't like the movie. In my mind the movie (and also the film industry)
>is diminishing and underestimating the whole issue by portraying just the
>white side of the "problem". The movie doesn't even ask why there are so
>many people in prisons and death row? Why so many African Americans and
>Latinos? Why so many uneducated, drop outs, working class people? Why?
>Why to put money on prisons and police force? Why not to schools and
>education?

I think you meant to ask; 'Why is America saddled with a corrupt and
devious power structure, which elevates the worship of cold, hard cash
above basic human decency?' Why, indeed?

The role of the film industry is merely consistent with the objectives of
the power structure which, after all, owns the film industry.