SCREEN-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

Sender:
From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 16:14:09 -0500
>night and fog in japan   intriguing film about student radicals in i believe
>l950s japan told through flashback with RASHOMON like flashbacks. Film is
>Oshima's gloss on Night and Fog ideologically and aesthetically.
>
>hr greenberg md

On that other list, I believe, I wrote in about _Night and Fog in Japan_ in
reference to the original post asking about it.  But I'll mention it here
vis a vis hr greenberg md and his post:  Try reading my book _Eros plus
Massacre:  An Introduction to the Japanese New Wave Cinema_ where I discuss
the film at length.  I also have references in discussion in the book to
other places to look for criticism and analysis. That Oshima's film is a
"gloss" on Resnais's film is overstating the issue by a long shot.

David Desser, PhD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL  61801
217/244-2705