SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 11:34:23 CST
It has come to my attention that Fiona Oceanstar has used SCREEN-L for
an experiment in "flaming" (computer jargon for obnoxious messages,
USUALLY sent in the heat of an argument).  A message she posted on the
WRITERS list explained how she used SCREEN-L to try out the "role of the
flamer" by intentionally insulting Eyes' paraphrase of a professor's
theory about the horror genre.

SCREEN-L is for the study of film and television, not for small-minded
pranks such as this.

SCREEN-L is also not for the discussion of the politics of flaming.
Please do not post messages here about the pluses and minuses of
flaming.  Let's move on, please, to the intended purpose of SCREEN-L:  the
lively (but not rude or hurtful) dicussion of film/TV studies.

Jeremy Butler
SCREEN-L Coordinator

|                                      | Bitnet   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
|                                      | GEnie    :           J.BUTLER27 |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |