SCREEN-L Archives

January 2005, Week 1

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:34:00 EST
7bit
From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
_Guess  Who's Coming to Dinner_ debate at SWPCA

As mentioned in an earlier message, the Southwest/Texas PCA/ACA meeting in
February will feature a spirited debate about the putative "radicalism" of
the famous film with Tracy and Hepburn, _Guess Who's Coming to Dinner_.  Robert
B. Toplin will debate Glenn Harris; both are from the History Department at
the University of North Carolina-Wilmington.

 A brand-new book from Princeton UP has a pertinent chapter on this topic.

Courtney, Susan. _Hollywood Fantasies of Miscegenation_ (Princeton UP,
2005. 250-294.

Chapter 6 title is "_Guess Who's Coming to Dinner  with Eldridge Cleaver and
the Supreme Court, or Reforming Popular Racial Memory with Hepburn and Tracy_."

This chapter is particularly attentive to film language and should serve us
all as a model in the use of detail to authenticate interpretation of a film
text.

Peter C. Rollins

Founder and Chairman of the Board
(Emeritus)

Popular Culture Center
Rt 3 Box 80
Cleveland, Oklahoma 74020
(918)243-7637 and fax 5995

The regional meeting for 2005 will take place in Albuquerque, New Mexico,
a favored site for our gatherings. The events will run between February 9-12,
2005 at the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque (330 Tijera; 505.842.1234) We have gone
to the downtown area of the city where a massive refurbishing has brought in
shopping and dining opportunities of quality. We are excited about the special
hotel rates negotiated by our new leaders. There is even a special graduate
student rate. (See details on web site.)

Organization's Web site with lots of data is below: http://www.swtexaspca.org/

Now that I am now emeritus, the best contacts for Southwest/Texas Regional
business are:

Philip Heldrich, Dept. of English, Emporia State University, KS

Ken Dvorak, Distance Learning, San Jacinto College District, Houston, TX

Both of these young scholars are at your service.