SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 3

From:
C Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 09:48:24 +0100
Dear all,

The Internet Research FAQ is still being posted regularly to misc.writing,
misc.writing.screenplays, misc.answers and news.answers (last weekend of
each month, approx) and each time it goes out, I receive emails from
grateful readers. So I pass on those thanks to you, who made it all happen.
It's also been invited onto the web.

The FAQ's web page lives at the Pure Fiction site:
http://www.purefiction.com/pages/res1.htm
with all those useful urls at
http://www.purefiction.com/pages/res2.htm

Pure Fiction - which is dedicated to writing best-sellers (aren't we all?) -
has received all kinds of acolades and prizes, though I can't say that this
is necessarily all due to the FAQ.

I've recently been asked to do an article on the subject for "Internet"
magazine, in the UK, November issue (out in a week or so). This has allowed
me to do a lot more research and feed some of it back into the FAQ - which
now has extra material on gophers and Veronica (the updated version should
be going on to the web site some time this weekend). I can email copies of
the article to anyone who's interested.

I'm continuing to listen out for new information on researching, and do it
myself where possible (or where I can get someone to pay me for it!) feeding
it back into the FAQ. But I'd still like to hear what everyone's doing.

Keep me updated. Things change fast on the Internet. For example, Alta Vista
has risen from nowhere to become most people's favourite search engine,
while Yahoo is looking decidedly mildewed. Has anyone yet tried UltraSeek,
the racy new brother (sister?) of InfoSeek? I know that we writers tend to
be short of time... and patience, and prefer to stick to the tried and
tested. So it would be very useful to know if anyone's changed their habits
and now uses a different search engine, directory or whatever.

And what about WAIS? Or IRC? Anyone had any luck with research using these?

Anyway, enough of all this. Back to doing some "real" writing. And very best
of luck to all of you, for the progress of yours.

Warmest wishes,

Charlie Harris
--
Charlie Harris