SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Molly Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:08:09 ES
m-javor @ students.uiuc.edu (Egoiste!) writes:
>I was just going through some older Coen Brothers films (Blood Simple,
>Raising Arizona), and aside from all the traditional pleasures they
>offer, I was particularly struck by the musical scores.  Does anyone know
>much about Carter Burwell, apart from his filmography?  I know he has
>done the scores for several Coen projects, but haven't been able to find
>much else.  Thanks for any info.

From the All-Movie Guide:

Carter Burwell

B I O G R A P H Y

Composer Carter Burwell is best known for his association with filmmakers Joel
and Ethan Coen. He first began working with them on their debut feature, Blood
Simple (1984). A good example of Burwell's skill as a composer can be seen in
the Coen's black comedy Raising Arizona (1987) in which each major character
has a quirky theme drawn from a variety of obscure sources. Burwell created his
first fully orchestral score for the Coens' Miller's Crossing (1990). His
haunting score for Barton Fink 1991 was made
in conjunction with sound designer Skip Lievsay and is comprised of 20 bars of
music combined with other sound effects. Burwell has also written scores for
other films such as Doc Hollywood (1991) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992).

 F I L M O G R A P H Y

Fargo, 1996
Celluloid Closet. 1995
Rob Roy, 1995