SCREEN-L Archives

July 1993

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1993 15:22:43 CDT
On Tue, 27 Jul 1993 14:37:16 EDT Brian H. Sealy said:
>meant in the punk subculture of their origin.  What would be a third
>text in this continuum, in which punk insignia get used self-consciously
>or ironically--dare I say, in a postmodern way?  By people with some
>connection to the originating punk subculture, perhaps, or at least more
>authentic connections than Hollywood can claim, but not without a
>consciousness of using clothes, music, lifestyle, as much for their
>own sake or because they have taken on some sort of meaning of their
>own as because that's what happens to identify the characters in the
>story.

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure if this fits (because it's a documentary and
because I'm not sure there's much irony here), but Penelope "WAYNE'S
WORLD" Spheeris's DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION (1981) includes
seminal punk figures (e.g., Black Flag, Fear, Germs, X, Circle
Jerks...mostly LA bands) and represents them with a certain
"authenticity" (can this word be used without quotation marks in
a pomo world?).

      Leave a log in the water as long as you like:  it will
      never be a crocodile.
                            --Proverb from Guinea-Bissau

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |