SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Yves Lever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 17:21:52 CDT

On Mon, 1 May 1995, Shawn wrote:

> umm, perhaps i misunderstand what it is you are saying, but i have
> certainly not had a problem finding films from the above mentioned
> countries, playing in town here, with subtitles often enuff.  perhaps
> montreal isn't the *only* city in north america where such a feat is
> possible, although i will admit that my classes are for the most part
> taught in english.  new york city seems to offer quite a few resources
> for the curious student.  this is not to downplay the uniqueness of
> montreal, mind you.  :)

I think I did not express well what I wanted to say (I don't speak a good
english, I'm french speaking). I just wanted to say that in Montreal, you
can have access in films from all over the world in normal theaters. I
mean that you can go and see a yougoslavian film in a Cineplex odeon
theater on monday at 13 on monday afternoon, or 17 on thurstday or 15 on
friday, or a Chineese film in another theater, and that for a few weeks.

You sure agree that a film must be seen on a large screen in a theater
with a good system sound. The video projectors are a very good new
instrument, but if you can see a film in a theater, it is much better. I
just wanted to emphasise that Montreal is a good city for that.

But it is nor perfect. Most of the theaters are owned by Cineplex Odeon
or Famous Players (property of Paramount, property of....).

Yves Lever