SCREEN-L Archives

January 2021, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:26:57 -0600
Sender:
From:
Paul Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,
Apologies for the cross-posting and the self-promotion, but I'm happy to
announce the publication of my new book, *Board Games as Media*. In this
book, I examine the popularity of hobby board games today as analyzed
through media studies methodologies. The book is designed to be affordable,
and it's ideal for classroom use, with short chapters, readable prose, and
case studies (and a pretty cool cover). It's available at Bloomsbury Press
<https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/board-games-as-media-9781501357176/> (as
well as Amazon and other online retailers).
Cheers,
Paul

ISBN: 9781501357176

Table of contents
Introduction. Board Games as Media
1. Meeples, Miniatures, and Cubes: Ludo-Textual Analyses of Board Games
2. A Depressing Choose-Your-Own-Adventure: The Interactive Potentiality of
Board Games
3. Colonizing Mars: Ludic Discourse Analysis
4. The Designer as Créateur: The Board Game Industry and Constructed
Authorship
5. The Player as Fan: Ludic Fandom in Board Game Cultures
6. Surveying Board Game Players: Who Plays What…
7. …and Why: Examining Motivations and Popularity of Board Games
8. Cultural Studies of Games: Diversity and Inclusion in the Board Game
Industry and Hobby
9. The Epic Adventure of Grundy and Trixie: An Autoethnographic Journey
Through Gloomhaven
Conclusion. The Board Gaming Environment