SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Stuart Lerner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stuart Lerner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 19:11:03 -0700
There were plenty of computer effects in Forrest, Forrest Gump, but there
were also some good old time effects.  As Abby Feder previously
mentioned, the old fashioned way to have a parapalegic was to tie their
legs out of sight.

special effects

from L.A. Times July 10, 1994
Calendar section, p.23

[blah, blah, blah] ...

The wheelchair in which Sinese sits was designed by New
York magician and special effects wizard Ricky Jay.  The
chair was structured in such a way, with a thin slanting
seat, that Sinese's legs were folded under and not
visible.

Ralston (Ken Ralston) special-effects supervisor, said
the design of the wheelchair was the key to the effects
surrounding Sinese's character.

"For the scenes on the boat where he falls out of the
wheelchair or leaps into the ocean, we took a hunk out
of the side of the boat, so he could move his legs where
no one else could [see], then used a computer to
reinstate that part of the boat," Ralston says.  "There
was this open slot and you saw the stumps, and the pant
legs were folded under just right.  Then we went back
and created the shadows passing over the cutout area.

BTW The New York Times reported yesterday July 24
that the opening title sequence cost $500,000 - a
half-million dollars and took six months in production.
The part that adds realism is the shadows against a
man's shoulder and reflection as it blows off the car.

I'll post to screen-l, but thought you'd enjoy.

BTW, did everyone enjoy the Christ-like imagery when Forrest was running
across the country.

Stu L.

"Our greatest hopes and worst fears are both rarely realized."
                                        -- A Wise Old Man

Save this .sig for valuable gifts and prizes.

                        One (1) point.

This promotion void on sites and servers where prhibited by law.