SCREEN-L Archives

May 2021, Week 1

From:
Liquid Blackness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2021 21:59:25 +0000
We are excited to announce the release of liquid blackness: journal of aesthetics and black studies 5.1 on “liquidity,” the beginning of an exciting intellectual partnership with Duke UP.
This is the first of 3 foundational issues on the core concepts that sustain the theory, practice and praxis of liquid blackness: liquidity, blackness (forthcoming Fall 2021) and aesthetics (forthcoming Spring 2022).
The issue can be accessed here:
https://read.dukeupress.edu/liquid-blackness/issue/5/1
It comes in two versions: the html version is ideal for accessing audio and video clips, including clips from the collaboration between Fred Moten, Suné Woods and James Gordon Williams, “You are mine. I see now, I’m a have to let you go” (in the section “Critical Arts Encounters) and a short audio clip from Larry Clark’s Passing Through (1977) in Alessandra Raengo’s introduction, “Black Study @ GSU: The Album”
The PDF version, instead, offers a curated layout that carries forward the aesthetic conceits we implemented in the journal before the Duke UP acquisition.
Since we conceive of each journal issue as a musical ensemble, an “atonal symphony,” in the words of John Akomfrah, whose interview concludes the present one and whose work graces our cover, the issue’s content is not divided by genre but rather by tone and pace. Ranging in style, genre, mode, and length, our contributors reflect on the meaning of black liquidity and the conceptual possibilities and shortcomings of liquidity itself.
We hope you’ll enjoy,
Alessandra Raengo and Lauren McLeod Cramer, co-editors in chief

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html