SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 5

From:
Paul Ryersbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:50:04 -0400
> >From my point of view, that seems to prove we are being constantly
> desensitized by what we see.  I sincerely hope I never find the sort of
> unnecessary violence I see in todays cinema as either "cute" or benign.
>

> David Ezell
>
> Atkinson State University
> Georgia Military College

Is it possible that the commercial/cultural engines that drive the
continuing escalation of graphic depictions of sex and violence in
mainstream film has born fruits in unconventional films, has given
artists new tools with which to communicate substantively about new issues?
What relationship does art-house film sensibility have with the major
stylistic and thematic developments which take place in mainstream
commercial cinema?

paul ryersbach