SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Reagan Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 09:32:14 -0400
"Caregivers and wet nurses"?!? "Baby treatment"?!? Your kidding, right? It
seems to me that all Mr. Panahi wanted was to be treated fairly and with
respect and dignity. I think the treatment that he received is a far cry
from the special treatment that some high profile individuals ask for and
receive on a daily basis. I understand the dynamics entailed in this
situation, with Iran recently listed as the number one terrorist country
and of course with recent terrorist activities in general (which of course
is why in part Middle Easterners in general are so horribly stereotyped in
the first place), not to mention the situation of illegal immigrants trying
to come into the country everyday, but I don't think that excuses anything
like what Mr. Panahi received, or anyone else. It really frustrates me when
such a clear case of abuse (assuming of course that everything Mr. Panahi
said was true) is somehow excused.

Best,
Reagan