SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Sender:
From:
"Daniel B. Case" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 18:59:19 -0500
Well, before I start talking about a film I usually try to SEE it first.  I
presume that if it's gotten to Billings, Montana, that by now it's in
Buffalo, New York.

Yes, it is, in several places. However, time is a factor also, since my fiancee
and I like to see films together, and we usually do so on weekends because
afternoon matinees are so much cheaper. So far we have not been able to get a
free weekend to do so. Hopefully we can go next weekend.

In any event, I am for the most part not responding to the film, but to your
criticism of it, which puts forth some propositions that I feel deserve
commentary irregardless of whether one has seen the film or not, and which
furthermore do not require, IMO, that one have seen the film under discussion to
do so.

In this postmodern era, I seriously doubt that there is very much
difference between the imperatives of the fictional film and the
documentary.  They are both after some kind of fundamental truth, one way
or the other, however they try to do so.

I'll respond to this after I've seen it.

I must have lost Spielberg's phone number--maybe you have it, Daniel?

I'll see what I can do.

Daniel Case                            State University of New York at Buffalo
Prodigy: WDNS15D                        |                       GEnie: DCASE.10
                            Ceci n'est pas une pipe
[log in to unmask]                           [log in to unmask]