SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
liz weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 11:31:19 EST
Since I started this thread I should answer Carmen's request.  TV is
shaped with a width to height ratio of 1:33 :1.  Most Hollywood films
are released at 1.85 to one, though many directors keep the tv ratio
in mind when framing their shots and blocking the action.  Films shot
in 1.85 should be shown on tv in a letterbox format (with black strips
at the top and bottom) so that the whole width of the image is preserved.
Most rented tapes, films shown on tv shot for film, and some discs are
not letterboxed.  You get a full screen but a large portion of the image
is missing from the left and right sides. liz weis