SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
"Thomas E. Wartenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:33:41 -0400
I've been working on a book that includes the issue of cross-class
couples in film (but also looks at interracial and homosexual ones).
Some of the films that you mention are ones that I discuss, although
others are not straight-forwardly about such romantic relationships.  I'd
be glad to share material with you.  You might want to look at the essay
I published in PHILOSOPHY AND FILM, ed. C. Freeland and T. Wartenberg
(Routledge, 1995).  In my own book, I consider such films as PYGMALION,
IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, PRETTY WOMAN, AND WHITE PALACE.  I'm interested in
seeing how the films represent the class difference between the partners
and what sort of social criticism they either make or deflect.  Hope this
is of help to you.

Thomas E. Wartenberg
Department of Philosophy
and Film Studies Program