SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Allan Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 11:55:14 CST
In her most recent posting regarding the Center for the Study of Popular
Culture, Marilyn Robinson wrote:
> I e-mailed Mr. Jarvik yesterday with a request for a
>description of his organization, and have not heard back.  Perhaps he'd like
>to fill us in.

I believe that Mr. Jarvik's organization is based in Santa Monica. David
Horowitz is one of the organization's theoretical guru's. Mr. Horowitz (for
those of you that remember)  is a reconstructed 60's radical who had some
type of right-wing epiphany during the course of the Reagan years. In a
more serious vein, check-out the depth of of his conversion in "Destructive
Generation: second thoughts about the sixties" and then go back  to the
"Free World Colossus."

Mr. Jarvik has previously stated: < Especially for film and television
studies, don't Nick at Nite and AMC do a better job than PBS?>
I find this to be an interesting analogy akin to comparing the tastiness of
certain vegetables with the flavor of fruits.
Like Ms. Robinson, I too would like a more in depth description of the
goals of Mr. Jarvik's organization or perhaps he could simply define the
acceptable parameters of public discourse in a democractic society.

Allan Siegel