SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

From:
Christopher Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 23:56:58 -0500
A member of the H-film list, I am posting this querry to your list in
the hope that you may be able to help me with a question about
archival sources.

I am doing research into the images of the military in British films produced
between the two world wars.  While I know that the War Office co-operated in
the production of a number of films, there are few records in the PRO dealing
with film production in War Office files or the files of the Government
Cinematographic Advisor in the HMSO papers.  As a result, I am interested in
looking at any papers left by production companies, producers and directors
involved in making the films.  The production companies involved are Butcher's
Film Service, Gaumont-British, First National, British National Films and
London Film Productions Ltd.  The producers I am interested in are C.M. Woolf,
Erich Pommer and Alexander Korda.  The directors are Maurice Elvey, Raoul
Walsh, Roy William Neill, Zoltan Korda, Norman Walker and Tim Whelan.

I would appreciate any information on where these papers may be found or where
I could find out where they may be.  I have checked the National Registry of
Archives for most of the names.

I apologise to those of you who have read this querry on multiple lists.

Thanks.

--
Chris Hull                              Dept of History
[log in to unmask]                  Univ of Toronto