SCREEN-L Archives

June 2021, Week 5

From:
Marty Norden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2021 00:34:49 +0000
Hello, everyone. As the Film & History area chair for the Northeast Popular Culture Association (NEPCA), I encourage you to submit a proposal for NEPCA's annual conference. The conference will be held online on October 21-23, 2021. More information about the conference is available here:

https://nepca.blog/conference/

We welcome presentations on a wide range of film topics related to popular culture. These topics include, but are not limited to, the following areas of analysis:

* Films that portray history, particularly those that provide fresh or controversial perspectives on historical events (e.g., Spotlight, JFK)

* Films that explore complex characters or incorporate social, political, and cultural themes (e.g., heroism, friendship, injustice, racism, betrayal, ambition)

* Film adaptations of other works, such as novels, short stories, and theatrical plays, or from real life situations

* Film genres, such as romantic comedies, gangster films, westerns, war films, or science fiction films

* History of the cinema

* Economic and cultural impacts of film on society

* Film industry awards, nominations, policies, and practices

Your proposal should be about 250 words, and the deadline for it is August 1, 2021. Please do NOT e-mail your proposal directly to me; instead, please submit it via the NEPCA Google doc proposal form at https://nepca.blog/conference/. N.b.: links on this page can be a bit hard to find since they don't look like normal links. You'll find the Google doc if you scroll down and click on the phrase: "You can submit your proposal at this link." If that doesn't work, you should be able to access the Google doc by copying, pasting, and clicking on the following address:

bit.ly/PopCFP2021

If you have any questions (e.g., about the suitability of your proposal, the conference itself, the NEPCA organization), please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks, and we at NEPCA look forward to receiving a proposal from you soon!

best wishes,
Marty Norden
Martin F. Norden
Professor, Department of Communication
N320 Integrative Learning Center
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003  USA

Editor, Lois Weber: Interviews (2019)
https://www.upress.state.ms.us/Books/L/Lois-Weber

Co-Editor, Pop Culture Matters (2019)
https://www.cambridgescholars.com/pop-culture-matters

Co-Editor, ReFocus: The Films of Paul Leni (2021)
https://edinburghuniversitypress.com/book-refocus-the-films-of-paul-leni.html

Editor, Dorothy Arzner: Interviews (forthcoming 2022)

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html