SCREEN-L Archives

January 1998, Week 5

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:12:09 -0600
In addition to KILLER OF SHEEP, I'd recommend Burtnett's NIGHTJOHN,
about the lives of slaves (made for the Disney Channel, but don't hold
that against it).

Some other considerations:
THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN
Other British productions that deal with class (and gender)
distinctions, eg:
THE FULL MONTY
the films of Ken Loach (eg., RAINING STONES)
Even adapatations of the great British novelists--
DAVID COPPERFIELD, GREAT EXPECTATIONS (David Lean, don't know about the
current version), and even A CHRISTMAS CAROL; also EMMA and SENSE AND
SENSIBILITY)

Truffaut's THE 400 BLOWS and SMALL CHANGE
Van Sant's GOOD WILL HUNTING
Ang Lee's PUSHING HANDS and THE WEDDING BANQUET
Gaston Traore's ZAN BOKO, which is all about the appropriation of space
Satyajit Ray's DEVI
Kurosawa's DODESKADEN and Imamura's INSECT WOMAN

and don't forget the final shot of THE GODFATHER, PART I!

Don Larsson

Donald Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)