SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 5

From:
Eric Freedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:16:37 -0400
A colleague sent the following inquiry to me.  If you have ideas, please
respond to me.  Thanks. - Eric

Eric Freedman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication

Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, Florida  33431-0991

(561) 297-2534
Fax: (561) 297-2615
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>Thought you guys might have some suggestions re some research I'm doing.
>I'm developing some video installations for a musuem exhibition about
>the New Jersey Turnpike (OK, stop yawning boys!).  I am trying to
>research archival moving images related to the Turnpike specifically
>(the hard part) and highways and cars in general (not that hard).
>
>Re the Turnpike and it's representation in Hollywood feature films,
>television shows, and of course docs and other archival sources,  and
>other ephemera like commercials and music videos:  do you have ideas of
>where to track materials, espeicially idexed materials.  I am mostly
>doing only on-line work at the moment, but a trip to NYC or even D.C. in
>the future may be in the cards.
>
>I am going after the Internet Movie Database site, and any on line help
>I can get from the Museum of Broadcasting and the LC an NARS sites as
>well (I've never used most of these on line so I'm not sure how far I'll
>get).  I know that Columbia University school of journalism had a
>catalogue of newscasts but I never found it that useful. Of course,
>there are private archives to go after, but then they cost MONEY to get
>the rights, and we want to take clips as "fair use" for the museum
>setting.  Any suggestions for what you think would be the beset private
>sources (Ihave my own ideas, like Prelinger) would be appreciated anyhow
>.
>
>I can't imagine there is an academic in media or cinema studies who
>specializes in the Turnpike or highways, but you never know.  If you
>have ideas on this, please suggest.  Of course, feel free to pass this
>on  or recommend listservs or newsgroups I might explore as well. As far
>as I know, there is only one scholarly book on the Turnpike to begin
>with, and I am trolling through it for mass media references, which is
>often how I find film and TV clips.
>
>So nice that I can use my South Florida academic sources for these
>questions, and not just revert to my New York City friends for help!
>
>All the best,
>
>Robbie

Eric Freedman, Ph.D.
Director, Certificate Program in Film and Video