SCREEN-L Archives

September 2019, Week 3

From:
Jennifer Moorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:37:44 -0400
Hi all,

Please find below the details for an Assistant Professor position in
African-American and/or African Diasporic Cinema
<https://cms.blog.fordham.edu/job-spotlight-tenure-track-assistant-professor-in-african-american-and-or-african-diasporic-cinema/?_ga=2.109469701.1626318895.1568643081-471465097.1557343816>
advertised by the department of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham.

All best,
Jennifer Moorman

---

The Department of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University,
The Jesuit University of New York, invites applications for a tenure-track
Assistant Professor in African-American and/or African Diasporic Cinema, to
commence September 1, 2020. The position will be based at Fordham’s Lincoln
Center campus in Manhattan, with opportunity to contribute to the Rose Hill
campus in the Bronx as well. This hire is part of an Arts and Science-wide
hiring initiative in African-American and African diasporic culture,
including Literature, Ethnomusicology, and Visual Art/Media.

*About the Position*:

The ideal candidate should have a specialization in African-American and/or
African Diasporic Cinema. Applicants whose work focuses on film
history/historiography; production/industry studies; audience studies;
black arts and expressive cultures; social movements; and the intersections
among film, television, and digital media are particularly welcome. The
candidate should have a robust research agenda, evidence of teaching
excellence, and the ability to contribute to Fordham’s Jesuit core
curriculum. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute
pedagogically to our Film and Television major and could teach in our M.A.
program in Public Media, which has concentrations in Strategic
Communication and Multi-Platform Journalism.

*Requirements*:

   - Ph.D. in Film and/or Media Studies or a related discipline, to be
   conferred by May 2020
   - A strong research agenda and publication record appropriate to their
   stage in the profession
   - Ability to teach required courses in Understanding Film, Film History,
   and Film Theory; Global Cinema; and courses of their own design which would
   contribute to a university-wide hiring initiative in African-American and
   African diasporic culture
   - Evidence of excellence in teaching
   - Commitment to mentoring and advising students

Interested applicants should submit (1) a cover letter with qualifications,
including approach to teaching and scholarship; (2) curriculum vitae; (3)
1-2 writing samples (30 pp maximum inclusive); (4) the names and contact
information for three references; and (4) and a one-page statement that
addresses how your teaching, mentoring, research, scholarship, and/or
community service supports Fordham’s commitment to diversity, equity, and
inclusion.

Application materials should be uploaded to Interfolio at
https://apply.interfolio.com/68341. To ensure full consideration, complete
applications should be received by Tuesday, October 15, 2019.  Please apply
to only one of our advertised tenure-track positions.  For questions or
additional information, please contact Claudia Rivera at

*About the Department*

 From high technology to everyday interactions, Fordham’s Department of
Communication and Media Studies critically and independently turns its
attention to the connective tissue between past and present, historically
grounding old and new media through ethically-infused teaching and
research.  We advocate the model of the publicly-engaged scholar and
critically-informed practitioner who is civically and socially reflective
and critical through analytical and/or applied means. Our faculty includes
scholars and practitioners from a range of theoretical and methodological
perspectives.  We administer four undergraduate majors — Communication &
Culture, Digital Technology & Emerging Media, Film & Television, and
Journalism — and participate in several interdisciplinary programs.

We seek to attract and promote a diverse workforce to maintain the
excellence of the University, and to offer students richly varied
disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.  We believe
that cultural and intellectual diversity is central to the excellence of
our academic program, and we strive to create an academic community and
campus culture that attracts and facilitates the development of promising
and diverse teacher-scholars.  As our student body becomes increasingly
diverse, we are especially interested in candidates with substantive
experience and commitment to teaching and mentoring students from a range
of social, cultural and economic backgrounds, and who have successfully
incorporated the research of women and scholars of color into their courses.

Fordham is located in the heart of New York City, interacting on many
levels with a diverse array of communities and institutions.  Through
research, teaching and service, we are committed to developing and
deepening our connections to the people and organizations around us.

*Fordham is an independent, Catholic University in the Jesuit tradition
that welcomes applications from all backgrounds. Fordham is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, and women, people of color and people with
disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. Same-sex spouses are
eligible for benefits.*

--
Jennifer Moorman, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Communication & Media Studies