SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Ellen McCracken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 22:00:42 -0700
        In your comparison, you might want to include Julio Cortazar's
short story "The Distances" in Blow-up and Other Stories; a particularly
jarring use of the double among the many examples in his fantastic
stories.  A privileged Argentine woman involuntarily merges with her
double--a Budapest beggar on a bridge over the Danube, and then is
horrified to watch herself walk away . . .