SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

From:
Pam Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1993 22:00:00 CST
There was a very interesting made-for-TV movie a couple of years
ago (I think it was 1991) called EXTREME CLOSE-UP.  It was directed
by Peter Horton (Gary of thirtysomething), starred Blair Brown (of
Molly Dodd fame).  The plot was built around an adolescent boy who
was an amateur videographer, whose home videos captured his mother's
descent into mental illness and suicide.  From what I remember
reading at the time, Horton had the young actor shoot the extensive
video footage himself, rather than have a professional cinematographer
do it.

I think DRUGSTORE COWBOY had significant video/home movie-type footage.
Of course, Michelle Citron's feminist experimental piece DAUGHTER RITE
is structured around home movies.

The Summer/Fall 1986 issue of JOURNAL OF FILM AND VIDEO, edited by
Patricia Zimmerman, is devoted to amateur filmmaking and its intersection
with other types of cinema, so many of the papers have relevance to the
use of amateur codes of representation in mainstream cinema and TV.

Good luck,
Pam
Pam Wilson                           | Internet: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Communication Arts          | Bitnet: PSWILSON@wiscmacc
University of Wisconsin, Madison     | Phone: (608) 256-1824