SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Stuart Lerner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 19:28:12 -0700
On Fri, 23 Sep 1994, Donald Larsson wrote:

> There are also undoubtedly videos that stand out in relation to their
> identification with particular songs and/or performers.  Michael Jackson and
> Madoona's songs are only the most obvious examples.  And while the primary
> intent of most videos is commercial (as are Hollywood films and network
> tv), other aesthetic, social and personal considerations slip in from time
> to time.
>
> Give it another decade or less and we'll probably have video-auteur festivals
> popping up (as some have here and there already).

When did MTV begin to list "directed by" credit on music videos?

Many film directors have gone back to do videos, or have come out of
music videos.  John Landis with Michael Jackson springs to mind (for
Thriller and morph-filled Black & White).

What about feature length concert films?  Where do they fit on the
spectrum?  U2-Rattle and Hum by Phil Joanau must stand as an example of
the genre.

Thoughts??

Take it easy, but take it.

Sincerely,