SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:01:26 -0500
Scott Hutchins wonders:

> I saw an old Technicolor film with my family when I was a kid, and I saw
> this painting, for Indiana Repertory Theatre's _Enter the Guardsman_,
> coming in April, and it aesthetically matches the film that I saw.  If
> anyone can give me leads, I'd appreciate it.

By "aesthetically," are you talking in terms of pose, color values,
lighting, all of the above?  How "old" was the film (and were you) when
you saw it?  Do you remember anything about the plot or characters?

The saturated, somewhat garish colors are reminiscent of things like
DUEL IN THE SUN and even some of Powell & Pressburger's work, but those
don't seem to match the context of the image.

Don Larsson