SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 2

From:
John R Groch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 13:14:14 -0400
Following up on what Tony Williams said:

While this does seem to be an attempt to cash in on anti-immigrant
feeling, there is another bit of Republican weirdness connected here.
Does anyone else remember the meeting between Reagan and a Soviet leader
(probably Gorbachov, but it might have been Andropov) at which Ronnie said
something like "You know, if aliens invaded our planet right now and
threatened all of mankind, we would settle our differences right away"?
This really happened.  At the time, the press took it as one more sign
that the Great Communicator was either senile, stupid, or far too inclined
to confuse movies and reality.  Now I guess we know he was just
disoriented, and thought he was at a pitch meeting.  I wonder if he'll get
a story credit?

JRG

John R. Groch <[log in to unmask]>            |  "Work!  FINISH!  THEN sleep."
English Department/Film Studies Program    |     -- The Monster,
Univ. of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260  |        "Bride of Frankenstein"