SCREEN-L Archives

May 1999, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Bethany Ogdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 11:54:51 -0400
Here are a few essays which deal with police reality programming.  The first
two I only have in conference paper form; however Anna William's essay was
published in Camera Obscura sometime in the mid-90s.  Ed O'Neil might be
able to let you know (on this list) if he's published his essay somewhere.

Anna Williams, All in the Family: The Representation of Crime in *America's
Most Wanted*

Ed O'Neil: The Seen of the Crime: The Construction of the Domesticd in
Police Reality Programming

Gray Cavender and Lisa Bond-Maupin:  Fear and Loathing on Reality
Television: An Analysis of *America's Most Wanted* and *Unsolved Mysteries*
(Sociological Inquiry, V68 No3, August 1993)

Here are two essays which deal with cop shows within wider contexts:

Ib Bondebjerg:  Public Discourse/Private Fascination:  Hybridization in
*True-Life-Story* Genres (Media, Culture and Society, V18, Sage Publications
1996)

Annalee Newitz: White Savagery and Humiliation, or a New Racial
Consciousness in the Media (in White Trash, eds., Matt Wray and Annalee
Newitz, Routledge, 1996)

Hope one or more of these is helpful,

Bethany Ogdon
Hampshire College